These herby browned mushrooms with sage and thyme are simple, aromatic, and the perfect accompaniment to a hearty dinner!
1. Heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan or well-seasoned cast iron skillet.
2. Once butter begins to foam slightly, add mushrooms. Toss once to ensure all mushrooms are coated in olive oil and butter.
3. Allow mushrooms to brown, disturbing them as little as possible until most of the water they have released has evaporated and they begin to take on color, about 15 minutes. For best results, most of your mushrooms should come into contact with the bottom of the pan at once.
4. Season generously with salt and pepper.
5. Mix in your sage and thyme. Allow the herbs a minute or two to wilt and turn off the heat. Divide among plates and garnish with more fresh thyme, if desired.
If you don’t have a pan large enough for most of your mushrooms to come into contact with the bottom of the pan at once, you can sauté in batches: add a handful at a time and push each browned batch to the side before adding more.